Saturday, October 17, 2020

Oct 18 - The new BC curriculum & secondary math course pathways structure

I didn't know that there were so many "inquiry-based approaches". I like the idea of the students going "through an extended process of inquiry in response to a complex question". It seems that's how mathematics problems are found in the real world in the first place. The design-based learning can definitely be used in math in order to design one's own problems and perhaps proofs. The problem-based inquiry is self-explanatory in mathematics, however the scientific inquiry is what I believe would bring the most joy in our classrooms, as students should be "able to connect what they are learning in class to their own lives and important issues in their world."

I like how the "Core Competencies" include a "Personal and Social" competency. Throughout all my education I always believed this was overlooked. Social skills are crucial, perhaps more crucial than the actual skills we are trying to teach students. Just being able to do math is not enough in the world, and someone who lacks social skills will definitely fall on the shorter end of the stick. Having interactions in math classes can definitely help build a sense of community and hone team skills.

For the pre-requisite chart, since the curriculum does not provide one, I used my own judgement and some help from: http://mcnair.sd38.bc.ca/school-information/course-descriptions/mathematics


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dec 18 - Assignment 3 - Final Unit Plan

Hi Susan, Here is the final unit plan and the lessons: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Lo_iAULqMFAmUt4eL3H_MX3Opc9r0mCp?usp=sharing ...