Sunday, October 4, 2020

Oct 5 - The Dish Problem

  •  If I didn't know algebra, I would solve it by drawing sticks for guests and using R,B,M for a dish:

II - R

III - B

IIII - M

Then, I would write out 65 "I's" which would be in excess of the guest number and then try to group them together as much as I can with circles (basically simulating LCM). The circles would represent R,B,M. Once done I'd count the "I's" to see how many guests.

  • I believe it does make a difference to "offer examples, puzzles and histories of mathematics from diverse cultures". The reason is, math is not about regurgitating facts, but it's about thinking, and the way we develop our thinking is by seeing something new and challenging.
  • I believe "the word problem or puzzle story and imagery matter" and that they "do make a difference to our enjoyment in solving it". Stories are captivating, and pushing the boundaries of our imagination stimulates thinking. We can always make up new stories and therefore challenge the students to new ways of thinking and hence help them grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dec 18 - Assignment 3 - Final Unit Plan

Hi Susan, Here is the final unit plan and the lessons: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Lo_iAULqMFAmUt4eL3H_MX3Opc9r0mCp?usp=sharing ...