Sunday, November 22, 2020

Nov 22 - Math textbooks

While I believe that "Language indirectly indexes particular dispositions,
understandings, values, and beliefs", I don't have much to say as I, personally, was never bothered by any language used. In elementary school in Romania, actually most problems had weird impossible numbers, and it was only here in Canada, in grade 12 that I realized they were trying to make the problems realistic. In terms of the pronouns or other aspects it also never bothered me since I just focused on abstracting the meaning.

I think using textbooks is a good thing as long as the textbooks are good. By "good" I mean that they stimulate mathematical thinking which encompasses abstraction and generalization, among other things. There are many books with many examples, Gelfand's Algebra comes to mind. Developing spacial thinking and a geometric way of viewing things is a must therefore, studying Euclid or any textbook that goes through Euclid in a more modern way could also be a potentially good textbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dec 18 - Assignment 3 - Final Unit Plan

Hi Susan, Here is the final unit plan and the lessons: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Lo_iAULqMFAmUt4eL3H_MX3Opc9r0mCp?usp=sharing ...